Thursday, July 18, 2013

Exciting & Controversial New Medical Breakthrough for Down Syndrome

Here are a few articles on the latest medical breakthrough in the Down syndrome world -

http://www.wcvb.com/umass-researchers-block-down-syndrome-chromosome/-/9849586/21028830/-/xgpsx7z/-/index.html#.UehIQGTBLuc.facebook

New Genetic Therapy Provides Breakthrough for Down Syndrome

Read the articles....but basically a petri dish containing skin cells from a man with Down syndrome led researchers at the University of Massachusetts to this exciting new discovery.

They were able to use one gene to "shut off" Down syndrome, or the extra copy of the 21st chromosome, that can lead to medical issues and cognitive delays.

Crazy, right!?

Part of me is so excited!  Research for Down syndrome has definitely been lacking in the past and deserves it's time in the limelight.  A "cure" for early on-set Alzheimer's, thyroid issues and cognitive delays, just to name a few, seems like a no-brainer.  Why would I not eliminate these issues from Clay's future?

If my child was diagnosed with cancer, chemo and radiation would never be questioned to "cure" them of future pain and complications.  Physical, occupational, speech, and feeding therapy are now apart of our everyday lives in an attempt to better Clay's future.  Is cell therapy really any different?  I don't know the answer to this but am anxious to find out.

As much as I don't usually get caught up in the ethical issues of Down syndrome, this one does have my mind racing with uncertainties.  Would it change Clay?  Who he is?  Does that extra 21st chromosome play a key role in his identity?

I guess we will just have to wait and see where this new science takes us - him - Down syndrome.

Would I change who Clay is?  Absolutely not.  But would I encourage cell therapy to provide a healthy, happy - easier - life for my little man.  Absolutely.

"Before you accuse, criticize, and abuse - walk a mile in my shoes" (....Clay's shoes) - Joe South

No comments: