Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Sign Language


Teaching babies how to sign is so cool.

I liked the idea of it with Wyatt and Hazel BUT it seemed like a lot of work and after about a week of trying, I gave up.

When we first found out Clay had Down syndrome and started meeting other families that would part of our new world, I was blown away watching their littles sign.

"Typically" speech delays and Down syndrome go hand in hand - so I was determined to teach Clay how to sign.

I think a lot of toddler tantrums stem from frustration.  Frustrated with not being able to communicate.

Signing does not always have to be learning the actual American Sign Language sign.  If Clay makes a gesture indicating what he wants and I understand it - we are successfully signing.

I first started teaching the signs for mama, dad, and more.  Wyatt and Hazel soaked up the information in no time - along with several other signs.

Clay took us by surprise.  He does not sign any of those words - but he SAYS them!!!!!

Well, yesterday I got my "ah-ha" moment - Clay signed milk, while I gave him is bottle at nap time, and "I don't know???".

You know!?!? ...that put your hands up, tilt your head, and say "huh?" motion.  He did just that!

Watch and see!


No comments: