Thursday, April 18, 2013

Spread Respect

A student's email to her professor, after the professor inappropriately used the word "retarded" in class.

"I must be completely honest with you, when I heard you so casually use this word, at this point in my life, I have never seen someone in a professional standing, especially an educator like yourself, show such a lack of unprofessionalism and disrespect. Educators are meant to set an example, and quite frankly, I’m not sure if I could follow yours."

http://bestbuddiesblog.wordpress.com/2013/04/18/the-power-of-words-its-our-responsibility-to-stand-up-for-respect/

This is great story for standing up for what you know is right.

I (embarrassingly) must admit that I don't always stand up for Clay, and as his mother - it is my job to do it - especially because he can't.

Sometimes I am thrown off when I hear someone use the word "retarded" around me....and it is uncomfortable for me to have to confront someone in this situation (or in any situation for that matter).

Luke is much better at it than me.  He usually casually slips in a "hey, watch the r-word" and then is able to carry on the conversation.

I, usually become frozen inside - sad, angry, not sure what to say - and the moment passes.  Then I am angry with myself for the rest of the day for not standing up for what I know is right.

I like this story.  I like that she too froze, not sure what to do, and even though the moment passed - she still made it right.  A lesson learned for me.


No comments: